Your coffee shop probably doesn't carry just coffee. Most likely it offers a plethora of other delicious treats, like muffins, pastries, cupcakes and scones. It's tempting to grab a quick breakfast as you pick up your morning coffee. But think twice before you make a habit of this. We already talked about product markups, and baked goods are no different.
More importantly, though, these treats are loaded with calories and fat. Many of the items in that bakery case are over-sized, with multiple servings hiding in one big blueberry muffin. For example, take Starbucks' crumb cake. One piece of this cake contains 670 calories. 670 calories! That's more than a Big Mac, people. And a Starbucks date and oatmeal bar may sound healthy, but it's packed with 500 calories. If you're watching your waistline, you're better off passing on these.
For more about coffee and other foods and drinks, check out the links below.
- Conradt, Stacy. "The Quick 10: 10 Secret Menu Items." Mental_floss. Aug. 31, 2009. (Aug. 28, 2010) http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/33297
- Duse, Eleanor. "How Restaurant Markups Work." TLC Cooking. Apr. 9, 2009. (Aug. 28, 2010) https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/menus/restaurant-markups2.htm
- Echlin, Helena. "An Espresso to Grind." Chowhound. Mar. 27, 2007. (Aug. 28, 2010) http://www.chow.com/food-news/53900/an-espresso-to-grind/
- "Espresso Cleaning: Why, How, and When." Home-Barista.com. 2010. (Aug. 28, 2010) http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machine-cleaning.html
- Lantry, Devon. "Full Starbucks secret menu." Examiner.com. 2010. (Aug. 28, 2010) http://www.examiner.com/chain-restaurant-in-national/full-starbucks-secret-menu
- "Milk Frothing Guide - Hello Milk!" CoffeeGeek.com. 2010. (Aug. 28, 2010) http://coffeegeek.com/guides/frothingguide/milk
- Richardson, Jill. "Does Fair Trade Coffee Lift Growers Out of Poverty or Simply Ease Our Guilty Conscience?" Alternet. Feb. 11, 2010. (Aug. 28, 2010) http://www.alternet.org/food/145555/does_fair_trade_coffee_lift_growers_out_of_poverty _or_simply_ease_our_guilty_conscience
- "Starbucks Food." HoneyLine.com. Jan. 25, 2010. (Aug. 28, 2010) http://www.thehoneyline.com/food/calorie-management/starbucks-food
- "Storing Coffee Beans - How To Store Coffee Beans." What's Cooking America. 2010. (Aug. 28, 2010) http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/CoffeeStoring.htm
- Tickle, Cindy. "Starbucks 101: What is a barista?" Examiner.com. 2010. (Aug. 28, 2010) http://www.examiner.com/starbucks-in-national/starbucks-101-what-is-a-barista
- "The 5 Worst Coffee Drinks in America." Today. Aug. 31, 2009. (Aug. 28, 2010) http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32478989/
A survey asked diners what menu terms are most confusing. Learn more about this survey on hard-to-understand menus in this HowStuffWorks Now article.