Many people find themselves in restaurants often due to busy schedules or business dinners, but when is the best time to plan a special, relaxing meal out? Don't choose Sunday or Monday night when the food probably isn't as fresh as it would be earlier in the weekend. And Friday and Saturday nights are the busiest times for many restaurants, so chefs are hurried and waiters are stressed.
Holidays, especially Valentine's Day or Mother's Day, are often a restaurant's busiest days of the entire year. If you can talk your sweetie or mom into celebrating at home and going out to a restaurant on another day, you'll find the atmosphere less hectic and enjoy more attentively prepared food and service
So when is the best time to dine out? Try Tuesday, when many restaurants receive fresh food orders to replenish supplies used over the weekend and the atmosphere is more relaxed. You can also give Thursday a shot: Chefs are gearing up for weekend crowds, fine-tuning recipes and ingredients, and there are plenty of servers on hand to serve guests.
- Bockelman, Christine. "10 Things Your Restaurant Won't Tell You." Smart Money. March 22, 2007. (Accessed July 2, 2010)http:// www.smartmoney.com/spending/rip-offs/10-things-your-restaurant-wont-tell-you-20980/?page=2.
- Kessler, Jason. "Blog: The Nitpicker." Bon Appetit. June 29, 2010. (Accessed July 2, 2010)http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2010/06/restaurants-bottled-water-tap-trick.html
- Hodgson, Moira. "Take your own damn order." Wall Street Journal. August 1, 2008. (Accessed July 2, 2010)http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121755069219002901.html?KEYWORDS=waiters
- Kaplan, Michael. "10 Things Restaurants Won't Tell You." Smart Money. August 14, 2009. (Accessed July 3, 2010)http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/deals/10-things-your-restaurant-wont-tell-you-13791/
- Parmar, Neil. "Crafty Ways Restaurants Cut Costs." Smart Money. October 2, 2009. (Accessed July 2, 2010)http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/rip-offs/crafty-ways-restaurants-cut-costs/
- Parmar, Neil. "8 Restaurant Ploys to Watch For." Smart Money. October 2, 2009. (Accessed July 2, 2010)http://www.smartmoney.com/Spending/Rip-offs/How-Restaurants-Cut-Corners/
- Templin, Neal. "Tipping Point: What it takes to make your waiter like you." Wall Street Journal. October 23, 2008. (Accessed July 2, 2010)http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122471487660660237.html?KEYWORDS=waiters.
A survey asked diners what menu terms are most confusing. Learn more about this survey on hard-to-understand menus in this HowStuffWorks Now article.