Potato Crust Pizza
You can even use potatoes to make a unique, tasty pizza crust. Here's a brief how-to.
- Scrub about 1.5 pounds of potatoes.
- In a small bowl, stir together a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of pepper and four teaspoons cornstarch.
- Slice up your potatoes. Make them thin -- use a food processor or mandoline.
- Put the potatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with half the cornstarch mixture. Gently stir to mix and then sprinkle on the rest.
- Brush a tablespoon of olive oil over your 12-inch (30.5-centimeter) pizza pan.
- Layer the potatoes on the pan in concentric circles. Make sure you cover the pan completely.
- Sprinkle some chicken broth over the potatoes and brush them with a bit more olive oil.
- Then, press down with your hands to compact the potatoes into a crust.
- Bake at 400 degrees until edges turn brown (20 to 30 minutes).
Your crust is ready! Remove it from the oven, add your favorite toppings -- for example pesto, grilled chicken and some feta cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes or so and enjoy.
[source: Idaho Potato Commission]
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Botsacos, Jim. "Skordalia." Food & Wine. March 2002. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/skordalia
- Christensen, Emma. "Recipe Recommendation: DIY Potato Chips...in the Microwave." The Kitchn. Sept. 25, 2008. http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/recipe-review/recipe-recommendation-diy-potato-chipsin-the-microwave-064078
- Glazer, Phyllis. "Latkes: The soul of Hanukkah tradition." Los Angeles Times. Dec. 17, 2008.http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-hanukkah17-2008dec17,0,5377460.story
- "Idaho Potato Commission." Idaho Potato Commission. 2009. http://www.idahopotato.com/
- "Idaho® Potato Crusted Pizza." Idaho Potato Commission. 2009. http://www.idahopotato.com/recipes/id-535/
- Jerome, Louie. "10 Extraordinarily Different Uses for Potatoes." Gomestic.com. March 20, 2008. http://www.gomestic.com/Homemaking/10-Extraordinarily-Different-Uses-for-Potatoes.95746
- "Potato Bread." A Year in Bread. May 31, 2007. http://ayearinbread.earthandhearth.com/2007/05/beth-potato-bread.html
- Sparks, Katie and Strong, Andrea. "My Homemade Potato Chips." Epicurious.com. 2006. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/My-Homemade-Potato-Chips-234557
- "Tater Tips." Idaho Potato Commission. 2009. http://www.idahopotato.com/tater_tips
- Wise, William N. "The History of Potatoes in Oregon." Dictionary of Oregon History. February 1996. http://www.oregonspuds.com/consumer/history.htm
Are you looking for some salad recipes that save you money? Check out this article and get 5 salad recipes that save you money.