This Christmas classic can be made with or without alcohol for all to enjoy. Here's a recipe, courtesy of the Food Network's Alton Brown, for making eggnog from scratch. But if Christmas shopping takes precedence over cooking, you can usually pick up a jug at your local grocery around the holidays. (Bourbon not included.)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces bourbon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 egg whites
- Beat egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup of sugar and keep beating until sugar is dissolved.
- Add milk, cream, bourbon, nutmeg and stir until combined.
- Beat egg whites until they make soft peaks. Gradually add 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until they make stiff peaks.
- Add egg white mixture to rest of batch and stir with a whisk.
- Chill and serve.