A ladle full of mulled cider is such a Christmas classic that upon mention, it immediately conjures up images of Tiny Tim. This recipe is courtesy of Martha Stewart, and the craft master makes hers sans the hard stuff, making it a great drink for all ages. To enjoy your cider as a warming cocktail, simply add one ounce per serving of rum or brandy once the cider is hot and has finished steeping.
- Combine cider, lemon zest, cinnamon sticks, anise, allspice and cloves in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove it from heat and cover.
- Let it steep for at least 20 minutes, but for maximum flavor, it can steep up to 4 hours.
- Pour into mugs, leaving out most of the spices.
- Add one ounce of rum or brandy (optional).