Cast a tasty Halloween spell with this witches' hats recipe.
- 1 package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 16 ice cream sugar cones
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 cups dry cereal (mixture of puffed corn, bite-size wheat and toasted oat cereal)
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries or raisins
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius). Grease cookie sheets; set aside. Combine dough and cocoa powder in large bowl; mix until well-blended. Evenly divide dough into 16 pieces; shape into balls and flatten. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until set.
Line large tray with waxed paper. Place 1 cup chocolate chips in small microwavable bowl. Microwave on high until melted, stirring at 30-second intervals. Coat outside of sugar cones with chocolate using clean pastry brush. Stand up on prepared tray; let set.
Place remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips and butter in small microwavable bowl. Microwave on high until melted, stirring at 30-second intervals. Pour chocolate mixture over cereal, pumpkin seeds and cherries mixture, and stir until thoroughly coated. Sprinkle mixture with powdered sugar, 1/3 cup at a time, carefully folding and mixing until thoroughly coated.
Fill cones with snack mix. Brush cone edges with melted chocolate; attach to center of cookies and let set. Decorate hats as desired with melted chocolate, colored sugars and sprinkles.
Yields 16 hats.