Just because you're on a budget, there's no need to be boring. Spice things up a bit with an easy, budget-friendly Thai dish. Roast a whole chicken in the oven and pull off the meat. Simmer this with vegetables and coconut milk for your basic meal. There is one extra expense -- curry paste, which you may have to buy at an international market. But, it only takes a dab of paste, so one container will last you a very long time. Serve Thai Chicken Curry over rice, and your family will love it.
Your body will love it too. According to the Coconut Research Center, coconuts are high in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Fiber is not only a daily requirement, it also fills you up. Coconut milk is also the primary source of lauric acid, a fatty acid that forms monolaurin, which helps prevent disease and infection. You may not think about fiber, fatty acids or low costs when you eat this meal, but they're all there along with great taste. Bon appétit!
- AccumulatingMoney.com. "5 Easy Ways to Cut Down Grocery Costs." (Oct. 11, 2011). http://www.accumulatingmoney.com/5-easy-ways-to-cut-down-grocery-costs/
- Coconut Research Center. October, 10, 2011. http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/
- King, Peter. "Foreclosures up but fewer past due." Nasdaq. Oct. 4, 2011. (Oct. 9, 2011). http://community.nasdaq.com/News/2011-10/foreclosures-up-but-fewer-past-due.aspx?storyid=97003
- Magee, Elaine. "Cheap and Easy Recipes and Dinner Ideas." WebMD. (Oct. 6, 2011). http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/cheap-and-easy-recipes-and-dinner-ideas
- Mohr, Angie. "4 Rising Food Costs that Will Hurt Your Wallet." Yahoo Finance - Financially Fit. Sept. 6, 2011. (Oct. 5, 2011). http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-113449-10939-1-4-rising-food-costs-that-will-hurt-your-wallet?ywaad=ad0035&nc
- MSNBC. Today Food. "Dining Dollars: Family Meals on a Budget." Dec. 9, 2008. (Oct. 12, 2011). http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28113515/ns/today-food/t/dining-dollars-family-meals-budget/
- Rocker, Terri. "10 Cheap Dinner Ideas for Family." Modern Mom Food. Oct.11, 2009. (Oct. 8, 2011). http://www.modernmom.com/article/10-cheap-dinner-ideas-for-family
- Rugabar, Christopher. "Dow falls 253 points in the wake of alarming jobs report." The Christian Science Monitor. Sept. 2, 2011. (Oct. 8, 2011). http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Latest-News-Wires/2011/0902/Dow-falls-253-points-in-the-wake-of-alarming-jobs-report
- Tuttle, Brad. "News Flash: A Healthy Home-Cooked Meal Costs Less than Fast Food." Time. Sept.26, 2011. (Oct. 12, 2011). http://moneyland.time.com/2011/09/26/news-flash-a-healthy-home-cooked-meal-costs-less-than-fast-food/
- U.S. Census. "Table 732: Weekly Food Cost of a Nutritious Diet by Type of Family and Individual, 2009 and 2010." (Oct. 6, 2011). http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0732.pdf
- United States Department of Agriculture. Cost of Food at Home. (Oct. 5, 2011). http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/USDAFoodCost-Home.htm
- United States Department of Agriculture. Economic Research Service. "Meat Price Spreads." (October 5, 2011). http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/MeatPriceSpreads/
- Walling, Elizabeth. "Learn About the Many Benefits of Lauric Acid in Coconut Oil." Natural News. Aug. 21, 2009. (Oct. 11, 2011). http://www.naturalnews.com/026819_lauric_acid_coconut_oil.html
Are you looking for some salad recipes that save you money? Check out this article and get 5 salad recipes that save you money.