Nothing says family dinner like a big helping of homemade spaghetti and meatballs. Ground beef is one of the cheapest meats you can buy, and pasta's even cheaper. A bonus for the penny-pinching cook is that spaghetti is filling, delicious and feeds a lot of people. And it doesn't have to get boring because you can change the sauce (tomato, Alfredo, vodka) or the add-ins (ground meat, meatballs, broccoli, asparagus, peppers) based on what you have around the house -- making this an easy regular feature on the weekly menu. A simple salad and some garlic bread make this the kind of family dinner staple that will bring everyone to the table.
- Epicurious. "Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya." (Oct. 12, 2011). http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-and-Sausage-Jambalaya-364172
- Mayo Clinic. "Recipe: Three Bean Chili." (Oct. 10, 2011). http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/RE00063
- MyBakingAddiction. "Easy Crockpot Pulled Pork." (Oct. 12, 2011). http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/easy-crockpot-pulled-pork-recipe/
- Shirk, Lynette. "Dinner a Day: 365 Meals You Can Make in Minutes." Adams Media, 2008.
- TLC. "Southwest Bean Chili." (Oct. 9, 2011). https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/southwest-bean-chili-recipe.htm
- USDA. "Food CPI and Expenditures: Table 7." July 13, 2011. (Oct. 9, 2011). http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/CPIFoodAndExpenditures/Data/Expenditures_tables/table7.htm
- Zelman, Kathleen M., MPH, RD, LD. "10 Ways to Save Money on Food Shopping." WebMD. (Oct. 9, 2011). http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/10-ways-save-money-food-shopping
- Zatarain's. "Jambalaya." (Oct. 12, 2011). http://www.zatarains.com/Recipes/Jambalaya.aspx
Are you looking for some salad recipes that save you money? Check out this article and get 5 salad recipes that save you money.