Meat-eaters claim that chili isn't chili without ground beef, but vegetarians know otherwise. Vegetarian chili can be just as flavor-packed and filling as the carnivore versions -- and they're cheaper to make without the meat. A great chili starts with a hearty flavor base of onions, bell peppers, garlic and tomatoes, then add in beans, other vegetables and whatever seasonings you like. Once you've found your go-to chili recipe, you can adjust it based on what you have in the pantry or what's on sale at the store, making it even more budget-friendly.
- Andrejczak, Matt. "Meat Prices Seen Going Even Higher." Marketwatch, April 25, 2011. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/meat-prices-seen-going-even-higher-2011-04-25
- Dunn, Collin. "Save More Money by Eating More Veggies." Planet Green, Nov. 30, 2007. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/save-money-by-eating-more-vegg.html
- Eating Well. "Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Portobellos." March/April 2009. (Oct. 25, 2011) http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cheese_spinach_stuffed_portobellos.html
- Mark Bittman. "Cold Noodles with Sesame or Peanut Sauce." April 1, 2011. (Oct. 25, 2011) http://markbittman.com/cold-noodles-with-peanut-or-sesame-sauce
- Mayo Clinic. "Vegetarian Diet: How to Get the Best Nutrition." June 10, 2010. (Oct. 25, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetarian-diet/HQ01596
- PETA. "Eating for Your Health." (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/eating-for-health.aspx
- Rossiter, Kelly. "7 Cheap and easy Vegetarian Meals." Treehugger, Oct. 30, 2008. (Oct. 25, 2011) http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/10/cheap-easy-vegetarian-meals-recipes.php
- Smitten Kitchen. "Roasted tomato soup with broiled cheddar." Sept. 20, 2011. (Oct. 25, 2011) http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/09/roasted-tomato-soup-with-broiled-cheddar/
- U.S. Department of Agriculture. "How Expensive are Fruits and Vegetables?" (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/aib790/aib790d.pdf
- U.S. Department of Agriculture. "Meat Price Spreads." (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/MeatPriceSpreads/
Are you looking for some salad recipes that save you money? Check out this article and get 5 salad recipes that save you money.