Jamba Juice has a reputation for using healthy, fresh ingredients in its shakes and smoothies. You can make them even healthier by adding Boosts, which are shots of vitamins and extracts designed to help immunity, digestion, energy and more.
But let's say you walk into a Jamba Juice feeling a little less virtuous. Do you have to settle, or can you score something that would horrify your nutritionist? Apparently, the sugar can be all yours. Most Jamba Juice locations have toppings and mix-ins more appropriate in a candy shop, such as gummy bears and Fruity Pebbles. Some of their secret menu smoothie recipes include PB&J, Strawberry Shortcake and Push Pop. Sources differ on whether the reasons for the secrecy are related to candy brand copyright infringements, or if Jamba Juice just doesn't want to tarnish its healthy rep. Either way, the sugar is under wraps -- but there for the taking if you ask.
Lots of other restaurants are rumored to have their own secrets menus, so try your luck at a few places and see what happens. Who knows what fantastical culinary wonders you'll unlock?
- Conradt, Stacy. "10 Secret Menu Items at Fast Food Restaurants." CNN. Sept. 28, 2009. (Jan. 15, 2011)http://articles.cnn.com/2009-09-28/living/mf.10.secret.menu.items_1_jamba-juice-menu-grilled-cheese?_s=PM:LIVING
- Coupon Sherpa. "24 Secret Restaurant Menus Revealed." March 3, 2010. (Jan. 15, 2011)http://www.couponsherpa.com/ask-coupon-sherpa/secret-restaurant-menus-revealed/
- Goodale, Gloria. "At fast-food joints, try the secret menu." Christian Science Monitor. Oct. 19, 2007. (Jan. 20, 2011)http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1019/p13s01-lifo.html
- In-N-Out Burger Website. "Secret Menu." (Jan. 18, 2011)http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp
- Marco, Meg. "The Really Big Guide to Secret Menu Items." Consumerist.com. February 26, 2007. (Jan. 13, 2011)http://consumerist.com/2007/02/the-really-big-guide-to-secret-menu-items.html
- Mighty Foods. "Trend: Secret Menus (Jamba Juice)." June 1, 2006. (Jan. 17, 2011)http://www.mightyfoods.com/archives/2006/06/trend_secret_menus_jamba_juice.html
HowStuffWorks looks at why so many restaurants are so much louder nowadays.