Although it might sound daunting, pickling tomatoes is actually quite simple. Plus, they make excellent and nutritious snacks that can easily last up to a month if refrigerated.
To pickle green tomatoes, all you need are jars and some brine, which is made by boiling water and vinegar with pickling or sea salt (but you can add additional seasonings and additives if you wish). Simply quarter the tomatoes and place them in covered, brine-filled jars for about a week. Sounds easy enough, right?
Pickled red tomatoes differ slightly from the green variety because the finished product is not as firm or crunchy. Before jarring them with brine, red tomatoes should be blanched, as it firms up the interior flesh and loosens the skin. To do this, simply dip the tomatoes in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then put each one immediately into cold water. The peels should easily come off when you're ready to eat.
Fresh tomatoes are always in demand, and these methods allow you to enjoy them all year round.
- Camas, Joanne. "How to Keep Your Food Safe." Epicurious. 2011. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/howtocook/primers/foodsafetyfruitsveggies
- Cook, Joan D. "A la carte: Green tomatoes can be used in a variety of ways." Reading Eagle. Oct. 12, 2011. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=338597
- Food Network. "Blanche." 2011. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.foodterms.com/encyclopedia/blanch/index.html
- Food Network. "Core." 2011. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.foodterms.com/encyclopedia/core/index.html
- Food Network. "Storing Fruits and Vegetables." 2011. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/storing-fruits-and-vegetables/index.html
- Martha Stewart Living. "Pickled Green Tomatoes." Aug. 2008. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.marthastewart.com/273481/pickled-green-tomatoes
- Martha Stewart Living. "Preserving Summer Corn and Tomatoes." 2011. (Oct. 27, 2011)http://www.marthastewart.com/856992/preserving-summer-corn-and-tomatoes
- Martha Stewart Living. "Tomatoes." Aug. 2006. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.marthastewart.com/265613/tomatoes
- Martha Stewart Living Television. "Growing Tomatoes for Canning." 2011. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.marthastewart.com/269631/growing-tomatoes-for-canning
- McClellan, Marisa. "In a Pickle: Pickled Red Tomatoes." Serious Eats. Aug. 30, 2011. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/08/how-to-make-pickled-red-tomatoes-canning-summer.html
- Seaman, Tracey. "Smart Tips for Stocking Your Freezer." 2011. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/howtocook/primers/freezertips
- Van Rosendaal, Julie. "Freezing the rest of your best." The Montreal Gazette. Oct. 5, 2011. (Oct. 27, 2011)http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Freezing+rest+your+best/5503445/story.html
- Wandell, Deb. "Tips for Storing the Summer Harvest." San Francisco Chronicle. Oct. 2, 2011. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-10-02/home-and-garden/30237194_1_herbs-summer-harvest-plastic-bags
- Wodraska, Lya. "Wodraska: Plan ahead and store up fruits and vegetables for the winter." The Salt Lake Tribune. Oct. 12, 2011. (Oct. 27, 2011) http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/52701265-80/organic-winter-expensive-markets.html.csp
Are you looking for some salad recipes that save you money? Check out this article and get 5 salad recipes that save you money.