You can't go wrong when you add a chocolate and cherry twist to this fruitcake recipe.
- 1 package Pillsbury nut or date quick bread mix
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 (10 oz.) jar maraschino cherries, drained and cut in half
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Kirsch (cherry flavored liqueur) or 2 tsp. almond extract, plus 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp. oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius).
- Grease and flour bottom of 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In large bowl, combine all fruitcake ingredients. Stir by hand until mix is moistened. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In small saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate chips and oil, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over fruitcake. Allow glaze to set in refrigerator.
- Wrap well in plastic wrap or foil and store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 3 months. For optimum flavor, refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving.