Sucker for confections? Check out these tips for making Christmas cookies.
Makes 16 servings
|2||(8-inch) square cakes|
|1||recipe Creamy Decorator's Frosting|
|Green and brown paste food coloring|
|1||to 2 tablespoons milk|
|1||recipe Fudge Frosting|
|1||(19X13-inch) cake board, cut to fit cake if desired, covered or cake plate|
|2||pastry bags with couplers|
|Tips: Numbers 3 and 352 or 67|
|Tiny bright-colored candies and/or cake decorations|
- If cake tops are rounded, trim horizontally with long serrated knife. Trim sides of cakes.
- Reserve 1-1/4 cups Creamy Decorator's Frosting for white lettering and dots. Tint 1/4 cup frosting bright green and 1/4 cup light brown. To tint frosting, add small amount of desired paste color with toothpick; stir well. Slowly add more color until frosting is desired shade. Thin remaining Creamy Decorator's Frosting with milk, adding 1 teaspoon at a time, until frosting is a thin spreadable consistency.
- Place one layer on prepared cake board. Spread with about 1/2 cup Fudge frosting and top with second cake layer. Frost entire cake with thinned frosting to seal in crumbs. Frost again with remaining Fudge Frosting. Smooth frosting on top and sides.
- Use toothpick to outline simple tree shape with trunk in center of cake top. For tree, pipe small leaf with green frosting and number 352 tip, starting at a bottom corner of tree and pointing downward. Pipe another leaf slightly above and overlapping first leaf. Repeat until you have a row of leaves reaching top of tree. Start at other bottom corner; pipe row of leaves on other side. Repeat rows to fill in tree. For tree top, turn cake and pipe 1 leaf, pointing upward. To pipe leaf, hold bag so tip is at 45° angle to the right. Position notch perpendicular to cake. Position opening just above cake and gently squeeze until base of leaf builds up slightly. Continue squeezing while pulling tip out away from base. When leaf is desired length, stop squeezing, then lift tip.
- For tree trunk, pipe small dots to outline and fill in trunk of tree with light brown frosting and number 3 tip. To pipe dot, hold decorating bag so tip is at 90° angle. Position opening just above the cake and gently squeeze. Lift slightly while still squeezing. When dot is desired size, stop squeezing, then lift tip.
- Decorate tree with candies as shown in photo. For borders, pipe row of leaves around bottom and top with green frosting and number 352 tip.
Check out more recipes for Christmas