Blueberry and Mascarpone Turnovers
Miss Michigan, Nicole Blaszczyk, submitted this recipe for Blueberry and Mascarpone Turnovers.
|1/2||cup mascarpone cheese at room temperature|
|2||tbsp. sugar (extra for sprinkling)|
|1||tsp. lemon juice|
|1||tsp lemon zest|
|1/3||cup fresh or frozen and thawed blueberries|
|2||9-inch refrigerated crusts|
|Vegetable oil, for frying|
|3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter|
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix cheese, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and lemon zest until smooth
- Stir in the blueberries
- Using 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut the pie dough into 12 circles. Place dough on the prepared baking sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the edges of the dough with the beaten egg.
- Place about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the cheese mixture in the center of the dough. Fold the dough in half to enclose the filling and pinch the edges to seal. Using the tines of a fork, gently crimp the sealed edges.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- While the pastry is chilling: in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour enough oil to fill the about a third of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 375 degrees F. (If you don't have a thermometer a cube of bread will brown in about 3 minutes.)
- Fry the turnovers for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with sugar while still hot. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Check out more recipes for Midwestern