Mike Terry created this Milk Chocolate Mousse Cake recipe in the second season of TLC's 'Ultimate Cake Off'.
|6||cups granulated sugar|
|5||cups cake flour|
|2 1/2||oz salt|
|5||Tbs. baking powder|
|2 1/2||cups Fluid Flex (high ratio shortening)|
|2||cups, 4 oz milk|
|1||oz real vanilla|
|1/5||tsp vanilla bean|
|3||cups, 4 oz eggs|
|5||oz milk chocolate|
|2||oz unsweetened chocolate|
|1/2||cups Simple Syrup*|
|3||pints heavy cream (at least 36% butterfat)|
|1||stick unsalted butter|
|1/2||Tbs. real vanilla|
|1/2||cup evaporated milk|
|2||lbs. powdered sugar|
*Simply Syrup: 2 cups of water, 10 oz of granulated sugar, 1/2 cup of light corn syrup. Bring to a boil and let cool. Now ready to use.
- Mix first 7 ingredients on low speed for 3-4 minutes.
- Add eggs and mix on medium speed for 7-8 minutes. Scrape bowl.
- Add last Milk and mix on medium speed for 3-4 minutes.
- Bake at 370° F until done.
- Cut chocolates into small pieces and melt in a double boiler heat to about 110°. Do not over heat.
- Remove chocolate from heat and stir in Simple Syrup.
- Whip the cream until it becomes thickened. Place a small amount of whipped cream in a bowl and quickly fold in the chocolate. DO NOT use a whisk.
- Slowly add the rest of the cream. Stir until you reach the desired thickness.
- Blend the powdered sugar, salt, vanilla and milk to a smooth stiff paste.
- Add shortening and butter.
- Mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
Check out more recipes for Cakes