Mincemeat Pastries the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 4 dozen cookies
|3-1/2||cups all-purpose flour|
|3/4||cup granulated sugar|
|1/2||cup (1 stick) butter, chilled|
|1/4||cup powdered sugar (optional)|
- Combine flour, granulated sugar and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- Cut butter into 1-inch chunks. Add butter and shortening to flour mixture. Cut in with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle buttermilk over top; toss just until mixture comes together to form ball.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured work surface; fold in half and flatten to about 1/2 inch thick. Knead about eight times. Divide dough in half; press each half into 1/2-inch-thick disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheets; set aside. Let dough rest at room temperature 10 minutes. Roll 1 dough disc into 18X12-inch rectangle on lightly floured work surface. Cut into 24 (3-inch) squares. Place heaping 1/2 teaspoon mincemeat in center of each square. Fold opposite corners each about 2/3 of the way over filling, overlapping dough corners.
- Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely. Sprinkle pastries lightly with powdered sugar, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Cookies