With this fondue-like dish, each person cooks their own dinner in a simmering broth. When all the food is cooked, spinach is added to the broth. Then the broth is served over bean threads in soup bowls.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
|2||ounces bean threads|
|1/2||pound boneless beef top sirloin or tenderloin steaks|
|1||can (46 ounces) chicken broth|
|1/2||pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1/8-inch slices|
|1/2||pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|1/2||pound sea scallops, cut lengthwise into halves|
|1/2||pound small fresh mushrooms|
|1||pound spinach leaves|
- Place bean threads in medium bowl; cover with warm water. Soak 15 minutes to soften; drain well. Cut bean threads into 1- to 2-inch lengths; set aside.
- Cut beef lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/8-inch slices.
- Heat broth in electric skillet to a simmer (or, heat half of broth in fondue pot, keeping remaining broth hot for replacement).
- Arrange beef, pork, shrimp, scallops and mushrooms on large platter.
- Prepare Dipping Sauce.
- To serve, select food from platter and cook it in simmering broth until desired doneness, using chop sticks or long-handled fork. Dip into dipping sauce before eating.
- After all food is cooked, stir spinach into broth and heat until wilted. (Cook spinach in two batches if using fondue pot.) Place bean threads in individual soup bowls. Ladle broth mixture into bowls. Season with dipping sauce, if desired.
Combine 1/2 cup light soy sauce, 1/4 cup dry sherry and 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil in small bowl; divide into individual dipping bowls.
Check out more recipes for Chinese