Moo Shu Beef
Makes 4 servings
|1/2||pound deli roast beef, cut 1/8 inch thick|
|1||tablespoon dry sherry|
|3||teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided|
|2||teaspoons cornstarch, divided|
|1||teaspoon minced fresh ginger|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1/4||cup cold water|
|1/4||cup beef broth|
|3||tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, divided|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
|1||cup shredded carrots|
|1||can (8 ounces) sliced bamboo shoots, drained and cut into thin strips|
|3||green onions with tops, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Hoisin or plum sauce|
|8||flour tortillas (7 to 8 inches), warmed|
- Cut beef into thin strips. Combine sherry, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, ginger, garlic and sugar in large bowl; stir until smooth. Add beef and toss to coat. Marinate 10 minutes.
- Stir water, broth and remaining 2 teaspoons soy sauce into remaining 1 teaspoon cornstarch in cup until smooth; set aside.
- Heat wok over high heat about 1 minute or until hot. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil into wok and heat 30 seconds. Pour egg into wok; tilt to coat bottom. Scramble egg, breaking into small pieces as it cooks. Remove from wok.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to wok and heat 30 seconds. Add carrots; stir-fry 1 minute. Add beef mixture, bamboo shoots and green onions; stir-fry 1 minute. Stir broth mixture until smooth; add to wok. Cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce boils and thickens. Cook 1 minute more. Stir in egg.
- Spread equal amount of hoisin sauce on each tortilla. Spoon beef mixture over sauce. Fold bottom of tortilla up over filling, then fold sides over filling. Transfer to serving plate.
Hoisin sauce is a thick, dark brown sauce made from soybeans, flour, sugar, spices, garlic, chili and salt. It has a sweet, spicy flavor.
Check out more recipes for Chinese