Moravian Spice Crisps the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Moravian Spice Crisps
Makes about 6 dozen cookies
|1/3||cup packed brown sugar|
|1/4||cup unsulfured molasses|
|1/4||cup dark corn syrup|
|1-3/4||to 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|2||teaspoons ground ginger|
|1-1/4||teaspoons baking soda|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2||teaspoon ground cloves|
- Melt shortening in small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat; stir in brown sugar, molasses and corn syrup. Set aside to cool.
- Place 1-1/2 cups flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves in large bowl; stir to combine. Beat in shortening mixture. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup flour to form stiff dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface, adding more flour if dough is too sticky. Form dough into 2 discs; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets; set aside. Working with 1 disc at a time, roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/16-inch thickness.
- Cut dough with floured 2-3/8-inch cookie cutter. (If dough becomes too soft, refrigerate several minutes before continuing.) Gently press dough trimmings together; reroll and cut out more cookies. Place cutouts 1/2 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 minutes or until firm and lightly browned. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- Place small strips of cardboard or parchment paper over cookies; dust with sifted powdered sugar. Carefully remove cardboard.
Check out more recipes for Cookies