Moroccan Chicken with Roasted Vegetable Couscous
This traditional Moroccan dish is loaded with spices, succulent chicken, and exotic flavors. Complete this dish with roasted vegetable couscous.
Makes 4-6 servings
|1||3-4 pound chicken|
|1||onion, medium dice|
|3||carrot, medium dice|
|2||celery, medium dice|
|3/4||cup of water|
|1||teaspoon ground ginger|
|1||teaspoon fennel seeds|
|1||teaspoon black caraway seeds|
|1/2||teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1/2||teaspoon black pepper|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||tablespoon mango honey|
|2||tablespoon white wine vinegar|
|1/4||cup, plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil|
|1||cup chicken drippings|
|pinch of salt|
|2||scallions, finely chopped|
|2||tablespoons chopped mint|
- Preheat the oven to 400° and position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Scatter the onion, celery and carrot, over bottom of baking dish. Set aside.
- Combine all of the spices in a spice grinder and grind into a fine powder. Place the ground spices in a small mixing bowl and combine with olive oil. Set aside.
- Pat the chicken dry and season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Rub the spice blend all over the chicken.
- Set the chicken breast-side-up on top of the vegetables. Add 3/4 cup of water to the pan. Roast for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the skin is lightly browned and temperature reads 170°F.
- When done, tilt the chicken to drain the cavity juices into the roasting pan and transfer the chicken to a cutting board, allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Transfer the accumulated pan juices to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil (you should have about 1 cups worth of pan drippings - if shy of 1 cup just add water to create 1 cup of liquid). Bring the pan up to a boil and use to make the couscous.
- Whisk together honey, lemon, vinegar, salt and pepper. While still whisking, drizzle in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle lightly over roasted chicken.
- Once the chicken juices have come to a boil, season the juices with the tumeric and a pinch of salt. Add the couscous, remove from heat, cover and let stand until the couscous is tender and the water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add the chopped scallions, mint and remaining vegetables and gently toss to combine. Mound the couscous on plates and top with roasted chicken. Drizzle with mango-honey vinaigrette.
Check out more recipes for Chicken & Other Poultry