Mushroom Ragoût with Polenta
This easy meatless main dish will please the whole family. Cooking the polenta in the microwave oven is foolproof and makes cleanup easy.
Makes 4 servings
|1||package (about 1/2 ounce) dried porcini mushrooms|
|1/2||cup boiling water|
|1||can (about 14 ounces) vegetable broth|
|1/2||cup yellow cornmeal|
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|1/3||cup sliced shallots or chopped onion|
|1||package (4 ounces) sliced mixed fresh exotic mushrooms or sliced cremini mushrooms|
|4||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained|
|1/4||teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1/4||cup chopped basil or parsley|
|1/2||cup grated fat-free Parmesan cheese|
- Soak porcini mushrooms in boiling water 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together vegetable broth and cornmeal in large microwavable bowl. Cover with waxed paper; microwave on HIGH 5 minutes. Whisk well; cook on HIGH 3 to 4 minutes or until polenta is very thick. Whisk again; cover. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add fresh mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and red pepper flakes.
- Drain porcini mushrooms; strain liquid and add to skillet. If mushrooms are large, cut into 1/2-inch pieces; add to skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in basil.
- Spoon polenta onto 4 plates; top with mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Calories from Fat||25 %|
Check out more recipes for Italian