Mussels in Beer Broth Over Pasta the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Mussels in Beer Broth Over Pasta
Makes 4 servings
|2||pounds mussels, scrubbed and soaked|
|8||ounces uncooked fettuccine pasta|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||bottle (12 ounces) Belgian brown ale or 1-1/4 cups chicken broth|
|2||shallots, chopped or 1/3 cup chopped onion|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1/4||teaspoon fennel seeds|
|1||fennel bulb, peeled and cubed|
|1||cup coarsely chopped fresh plum tomatoes|
|Chopped fresh parsley and grated fresh Parmesan cheese for garnish|
- Discard any mussels that remain open when tapped with fingers.
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions; drain. Place fettuccine in large bowl; toss with oil. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, combine ale, shallots, garlic and fennel seeds in large stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and boil 3 minutes. Add mussels. Cover; reduce heat to medium. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until mussels are opened. Remove mussels from stockpot with slotted spoon; set aside. Discard any unopened mussels.
- Simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup. Add cubed fennel; simmer 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes; remove from heat.
- Divide fettuccine among 4 pasta bowls. Spoon mussels over noodles and pour sauce on top. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
Check out more recipes for Pasta