Orange Scones with Orange Icing
Miss Nebraska, Brittany Jeffers, submitted this recipe for Salted Nut Bar Roll.
|2 3/4||c. all-purpose flour|
|1||tsp. baking powder|
|6||tbsp. cold, unsalted butter|
|1/3||c. heavy cream or half and half|
|1/3||c. freshly squeezed orange juice|
|Pulp and zest from one Navel orange|
|1||c. powdered sugar|
|2||tbsp. of half and half|
|2||tbsp. unsalted butter, softened|
|1/4||c. freshly squeezed orange juice|
|Pulp and zest from ½ Navel orange|
|Dash of salt|
- In a large bowl, thoroughly whisk together the first four ingredients.
- Drop in the butter and work into flour mixture until the largest pieces resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add egg, heavy cream, 1/3 cup orange juice, and pulp and zest of one orange to the flour mixture.
- Mix thoroughly. Transfer to a lightly floured surface, and roll into ¾ in. thick sheet. Cut into 8 to 12 triangles or circles. Brush tops with cream or milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While scones bake, combine the last seven ingredients.
- Mix until smooth. Serve on top of warmed scone. Refrigerate.
Check out more recipes for Southwestern