New England Baked Beans the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
New England Baked Beans
Makes 4 to 6 servings
|1/2||pound dried navy beans|
|1/4||pound salt pork, trimmed|
|1||small onion, chopped|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|3||tablespoons packed light brown sugar|
|3||tablespoons maple syrup|
|3||tablespoons unsulphured molasses|
|1/2||teaspoon dry mustard|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|1/3||cup canned diced tomatoes, well drained|
- Rinse beans thoroughly in colander under cold running water. Place in large bowl; cover with 4 inches water. Let stand at least 8 hours; rinse and drain.
- Cut pork into 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices. Score pork with tip of sharp knife, taking care not to cut completely through pork; set aside.
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in 1-quart saucepan. Place pork in water; boil 1 minute. Remove from saucepan to medium plate. Slice and set aside.
- Place beans in heavy 3-quart saucepan. Cover beans with 2 inches cold water. Bring beans to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 30 to 35 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line bottom of large casserole with half of pork slices. Spoon beans over pork slices.
- Place 2 cups reserved bean liquid in 1-1/2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add onion, garlic, brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses, salt, mustard, pepper and bay leaf; simmer 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook 1 minute. Pour onion mixture over beans in casserole. Top with remaining pork slices.
- Cover casserole with foil. Bake 2-1/2 hours. Remove cover; bake 30 minutes or until thickened. Skim fat from surface.
- Discard pork slices and bay leaf before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Northeastern