Old-Fashioned Devil's Food Cake the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Old-Fashioned Devil's Food Cake
Makes 16 servings
|6||tablespoons butter, softened|
|2||cups cake flour|
|1/2||cup unsweetened cocoa powder|
|2||teaspoons baking powder|
|1/2||teaspoon baking soda|
|Creamy Chocolate Frosting|
|Fresh raspberries (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 3 (8-inch) round cake pans.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour batter into cake pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake layers spring back when lightly touched and wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare Creamy Chocolate Frosting.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread with frosting. Repeat with remaining two cake layers and frosting. Frost side and top of cake. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Cakes