Orange Date-Nut Bread the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
|2||cups all-purpose unbleached flour|
|1/2||cup chopped pecans|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|1/2||teaspoon baking soda|
|1||cup chopped dates|
|2||teaspoons dried orange peel|
|2/3||cup boiling water|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
- Spray 1-quart casserole, soufflé dish or other high-sided baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; dust with flour. Set aside.
- Combine flour, pecans, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine dates and orange peel in separate medium bowl; pour boiling water over date mixture. Add sugar, shortening, egg and vanilla; stir just until blended.
- Add flour mixture to date mixture; stir just until blended. Pour batter into prepared dish; place in slow cooker. Cover; cook on HIGH about 2-1/2 hours until edges begin to brown.
- Remove dish from slow cooker. Cool on wire rack about 10 minutes; remove bread from dish and cool completely on rack.
Substitute 1 cup dried cranberries for dates.
Check out more recipes for Quick Breads