Bake Time 15 to 17 minutes
Rise Time 30 minutes
Chill Time 8 to 24 hours
Prep Time 20 minutes
Makes 27 servings
|2||packages active dry yeast|
|1/2||cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)|
|4||cups all-purpose flour|
|1/4||cup sugar substitute*|
|1-1/2||teaspoons ground cinnamon|
|1/2||cup cold butter, cut into small pieces|
|1||cup fat-free (skim) milk|
|1/4||cup cholesterol-free egg substitute|
|1||cup no-sugar-added orange fruit spread|
|1/4||cup sliced almonds|
*This recipe was tested with sucralose-based sugar substitute.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in flour, sugar substitute, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter using pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk and egg substitute until soft dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
- Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Gently punch down dough. Divide dough into 3 portions. (Dough will be sticky.)
- On floured surface, roll each portion into 9x7-inch rectangle. Cut each rectangle crosswise into 9 (7x1-inch) strips. For each roll, pinch ends of one strip together, forming ring. Twist to form figure 8. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Combine egg whites and water in small bowl. Brush over top of each twist. Cover; let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until nearly doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spoon slightly rounded half teaspoonful orange spread into center of each end of each twist. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until light brown. Cool slightly. Serve warm.
|Serving Size:||1 danish|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Calories from Fat||28 %|
Check out more recipes for Pastries & Crepes