Pecan Cinnamon Roll
Makes 9 rolls
|1||package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast|
|1||cup warm water (105° to 115°F)|
|1/2||cup plus 2 tablespoons honey, divided|
|1/3||cup nonfat dry milk powder|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
|1-1/2||cups bread flour|
|3||tablespoons butter, melted and cooled|
|1||cup whole-wheat pastry flour|
|1||to 1-1/2 cups oat flour or barley flour|
|1/2||cup chopped pecans|
|3||tablespoons butter, softened|
|1/4||cup firmly packed light brown sugar|
|2||teaspoons ground cinnamon|
- Sprinkle yeast over water in large bowl; stir to dissolve. Add 2 tablespoons honey, milk powder and egg; stir. Add bread flour, a little at a time, stirring briskly with large spoon after each addition. Beat mixture 100 times or until very smooth, using spoon to stretch mixture up to incorporate air. Let dough rest, covered, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Fold in salt and 3 tablespoons melted butter into dough. (Do not cut or tear dough, as this will lessen elasticity and rising ability.) Sprinkle dough with remaining flours, 1 cup at a time, folding wet mixture from side of bowl over top of flours. Continue folding in flour until dough is thick and heavy and does not stick to side of bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Scrape bowl clean; add scrapings to dough.
- Knead dough with floured hands 10 to 15 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding small amounts of flour as needed to prevent sticking. Shape dough into ball; place in large greased bowl. Turn over to grease surface. Cover with clean, damp towel. Let rise in warm, draft-free place about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, spread remaining 1/2 cup honey evenly in bottom of 9-inch square baking pan; sprinkle with pecans. Set aside.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Punch down dough. Shape into 1/4-inch-thick rectangle; spread with 3 tablespoons softened butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll up into log; cut into 9 equal pieces. Place rolls, cut sides down, in pan. Cover with clean, damp towel; let rise 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake about 30 minutes or until golden brown and rolls sound hollow when tapped. Cool slightly; invert onto serving plate.
Check out more recipes for Rolls & Buns