Pepper-Stuffed Artichokes the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 4 servings
|4||large artichokes, outer leaves removed|
|1/4||cup lemon juice|
|2||teaspoons olive oil|
|1/2||cup chopped onion|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1/2||cup diced red bell pepper|
|1/2||cup diced yellow bell pepper|
|1/2||cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
|2||teaspoons dried oregano leaves|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|1||can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added peeled tomatoes, undrained|
|2||tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Trim 1 inch off top and stem of each artichoke. Dip artichokes in lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Bring 5 cups water to boil in large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low; add artichokes and simmer 30 minutes. Drain and cool slightly. Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard center of artichoke.
- Heat oil in small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat; stir in bell peppers, bread crumbs, parsley, oregano and black pepper. Stuff artichokes with bell pepper mixture.
- Spray 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange stuffed artichokes in prepared pan. Set aside.
- Place tomatoes in food processor or blender; process until smooth. Pour over artichokes. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Cover and bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
|Calories from Fat||20 %|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Check out more recipes for Italian