Pesto Rice and Beans
Makes 8 servings
|3/4||cup uncooked dried Great Northern beans|
|1||cup packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed|
|1/2||cup grated Parmesan cheese|
|1/3||cup olive oil|
|1/4||cup walnuts, toasted*|
|1||large clove garlic|
|3-1/2||cups canned chicken broth|
|1||cup uncooked long-grain white rice|
|1/2||pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Additional grated Parmesan cheese (optional)|
*To toast walnuts, spread in single layer on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Rinse Great Northern beans thoroughly in colander under cold running water, picking out debris and any blemished beans.
- To quick-soak beans, place beans in large saucepan; cover with 4 inches water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 1 hour in water.
- To prepare basil pesto, place garlic, basil, cheese, oil and walnuts in food processor. Cover; process using on/off pulsing action until coarsely ground.
- Drain Great Northern beans. Combine chicken broth and Great Northern beans in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in rice and salt; simmer 10 minutes. Add green beans; simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in basil pesto. Transfer to large serving bowl. Sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired. Garnish with plum tomatoes and Italian parsley, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Vegetarian