Petit Pain au Chocolate the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Petit Pain au Chocolate
Makes 8 rolls
|3||to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour|
|3||tablespoons granulated sugar|
|1||package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast|
|1||cup plus 1 tablespoon milk, divided|
|3||tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
|1||milk chocolate candy bar (6 ounces), cut into 16 pieces|
|2||teaspoons colored sugar|
- Combine 3 cups flour, granulated sugar, yeast and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- Combine 1 cup milk and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat until mixture is 120° to 130°F. (Butter does not need to completely melt.)
- Gradually stir milk mixture and egg into flour mixture to make soft dough that forms ball.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; flatten slightly. Knead dough 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding remaining 1/2 cup flour to prevent sticking if necessary.
- Shape dough into ball; place in large greased bowl. Turn dough over so that top is greased. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough. Knead dough on lightly floured surface 1 minute. Roll dough back and forth, forming loaf.
- Cut loaf into 8 pieces. Roll 1 dough piece into 6-inch round. Place 2 pieces chocolate in center. Fold edges into center around chocolate. Place seam side down on lightly greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough pieces. Place rolls 3 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Cover rolls lightly with towel and let rise in warm place 20 to 30 minutes or until slightly puffed. Brush tops with remaining 1 tablespoon milk. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Serve immediately.
Check out more recipes for French