Piña Colada Cake
Makes 12 servings
|1||package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix|
|1/2||cup cold whipping cream|
|1/4||cup dark rum|
|2||tablespoons powdered sugar|
|2||cups cold whipping cream|
|3/4||cup powdered sugar|
|1||fresh pineapple, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and cored|
|2||cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted*|
*To toast coconut, spread evenly on ungreased cookie sheet. Toast in preheated 350°F oven 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown.
- Prepare cake mix and bake according to package directions using 2 (9-inch) round cake pans. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool completely.
- For rum filling, combine all ingredients in small bowl until well blended. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until ready to use.
- For whipped topping, place 2 cups whipping cream in large bowl; beat 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat 20 seconds or until stiff peaks form. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place pineapple cut side down on cutting board; slice very thinly. Place slices on paper towels; pat dry.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spread half of rum filling evenly over cake. Spread 1 cup whipped topping evenly over cake. Sprinkle with 1 cup coconut; top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining rum filling evenly over cake. Spread remaining whipped topping evenly over top and side of cake; sprinkle top with remaining coconut.
- Press pineapple slices around side of cake vertically, overlapping slightly. Reserve any remaining pineapple slices for another use. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.
Check out more recipes for Cakes