Plentiful "P's" Salad the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Plentiful "P's" Salad
Makes 12 first-course servings
|4||cups fresh black-eyed peas|
|1-1/2||cups uncooked rotini pasta|
|1||medium red bell pepper, chopped|
|1||medium green bell pepper, chopped|
|1||medium purple onion, chopped|
|4||slices provolone cheese, chopped|
|4||slices salami or pepperoni, chopped|
|1||jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained|
|1||jar (2 ounces) chopped pimiento, drained|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
|2||tablespoons dry Italian salad dressing mix|
|1/4||teaspoon black pepper|
|1/2||cup wine vinegar|
|1/4||cup vegetable oil|
|Onion slices and fresh herb sprigs for garnish|
- Place peas in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until peas are soft when pierced with fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cook rotini according to package directions until tender but still firm. Drain and set aside.
- Combine black-eyed peas, pasta, bell peppers, chopped onion, provolone cheese, salami, mushrooms, pimiento and parsley in large bowl; set aside.
- Combine salad dressing mix, salt and black pepper in small bowl. Add vinegar and sugar; mix well. Whisk in oil.
- Add oil mixture to black-eyed pea mixture. Toss lightly until well combined. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish, if desired.
Other vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, carrots or celery can be added.
Check out more recipes for Salads