Polenta Squares with Chunky Tomato Sauce the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Polenta Squares with Chunky Tomato Sauce
Makes 6 to 8 servings
|1/2||cup chopped green bell pepper|
|1/2||cup chopped onion|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1/4||teaspoon ground red pepper|
|1||cup yellow cornmeal|
|1/2||cup grated Parmesan cheese|
|1||jar (28 ounces) prepared chunky garden vegetable-style pasta sauce|
|1-1/2||cups (6 ounces) shredded provolone cheese|
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from saucepan with slotted spoon; set aside.
- Bring milk, salt and red pepper to a boil in large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. While whisking milk mixture vigorously, add cornmeal in very thin but steady stream (do not let lumps form). Reduce heat to low.
- Cook, uncovered, 40 to 60 minutes until polenta is very thick, stirring frequently. (Polenta is ready when wooden spoon stands upright in center of mixture.)
- Stir bell pepper mixture and Parmesan cheese into polenta.
- Spray 13X9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread polenta evenly into baking pan. Cover; let stand at room temperature 6 hours or until completely cooled and firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut polenta into 24 squares. Pour spaghetti sauce evenly over polenta.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until sauce is bubbly around edges of pan. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with provolone cheese.
- Bake 2 to 3 minutes just until provolone cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes. Loosen polenta at edges with metal spatula.
- Carefully lift polenta pieces out of pan with wide spatula.
Check out more recipes for Italian