Pork Burritos the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 6 servings
|2||cups Refried Beans or canned refried beans, warmed|
|1||boneless fresh pork butt roast (about 2-1/2 pounds)|
|1||cup chopped white onion|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1/2||teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/2||teaspoon coriander seeds, lightly crushed|
|Fresh Tomato Salsa|
|12||flour tortillas (8-inch diameter)|
|2||medium avocados, peeled, pitted and diced|
|1||cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese|
|Carrot sticks, avocado slices and cilantro sprig for garnish|
- Prepare Refried Beans.
- Place pork, onion, carrot, garlic, salt, cumin and coriander seeds in 5-quart Dutch oven. Add just enough water to cover pork. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours until pork is tender.
- Prepare Fresh Tomato Salsa.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove pork from Dutch oven; set aside. Strain cooking liquid through cheesecloth-lined sieve; reserve 1/2 cup liquid.
- Place pork on rack in roasting pan. Roast 40 to 45 minutes until well browned, turning once. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Trim and discard outer fat from pork. Using 2 forks, pull pork into coarse shreds. Combine pork and reserved cooking liquid in medium skillet. Heat over medium heat 5 minutes or until meat is hot, stirring frequently.
- Soften and warm tortillas.
- Place about 2-1/2 tablespoons beans on bottom half of 1 tortilla; spread out slightly. Layer with pork, salsa, diced avocado and cheese. Fold right edge of tortilla up over filling; fold bottom edge over filling, then loosely roll up, leaving left end of burrito open.
Check out more recipes for Mexican