Potatoes au Gratin the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Potatoes au Gratin
Makes 4 servings
|1||pound baking potatoes|
|1||tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon reduced-fat margarine|
|1||tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour|
|1-1/4||cups fat-free (skim) milk|
|1/4||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|Pinch white pepper|
|1/2||cup thinly sliced red onion, divided|
|1/3||cup whole wheat bread crumbs|
|1||tablespoon finely chopped red onion|
|1||tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese|
- Spray 4- or 6-cup casserole with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Place potatoes in large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; boil 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Let potatoes stand 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, melt margarine in small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook and stir 3 minutes or until small clumps form. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook 8 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring constantly. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in nutmeg, paprika and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut potatoes into thin slices. Arrange half of potato slices in prepared casserole. Sprinkle with half of onion slices. Repeat layers. Spoon sauce over potato mixture. Combine bread crumbs, finely chopped red onion and cheese in small bowl; sprinkle evenly over sauce.
- Bake 20, uncovered, minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish as desired.
|Serving Size:||about 3/4 cup|
|Calories from Fat||14 %|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Check out more recipes for Vegetable Side Dish