Makes 12 servings
|1||cup cake flour|
|1/2||cup (1 stick) butter|
|4-1/2||tablespoons superfine sugar*|
|1||pint raspberry sorbet or sherbet|
|3/4||cup frozen raspberries|
|2/3||cup granulated sugar|
|1/2||cup lemon juice|
|1||cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened|
*Superfine sugar dissolves almost instantly. If you can't find superfine sugar at your supermarket, you can process granulated sugar in your food processor until the sugar grains are fine.
- For shortbread, sift together flour and cornstarch. Mix butter, sugar and salt in a medium bowl with mixer at medium speed. Gradually mix in flour mixture at low speed, until mixture is crumbly. Transfer to clean surface and knead just until dough comes together (overkneading will toughen the dough). Flatten dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness between 2 pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper. (If dough is to stiff to roll out, let stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.) Cut out a round using rim of round bowl 6-1/2 inches across. (While baking, shortbread may spread slightly; use bowl as guide to trim off any excess.) Gather excess dough; roll out between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Cut out cookies from excess dough to serve with bombe.
- Bake shortbread disk until golden around edges, about 25 to 28 minutes. Bake extra cookies 10 to 12 minutes or until golden on edges. Cool disk and cookies completely before carefully removing from parchment paper.
- For bombe, line interior of round bowl used to cut shortbread with plastic wrap. Place sorbet into another bowl. Mix in raspberries. Place in lined bowl and press sorbet up sides of the bowl. If sorbet softens to much, place in freezer a few minutes then gradually work sorbet up the sides of the bowl. Freeze at least 6 hours.
- For lemon cream, mix sugar, lemon juice, eggs, and egg yolk in medium bowl. Place in double boiler over barely simmering water and cook, stirring constantly, until the consistency of pudding, about 15 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat and place on rack to cool to 140°F. Add butter and zest, and mix until smooth. Cool completely.
- Remove sorbet bowl from freezer; pour in lemon cream. Place shortbread disk on top and press gently yet firmly to seal. Fold over the plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- To serve, remove bombe from bowl and unwrap plastic. Cover with whipped cream. Slice and serve immediately.
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Total Fat||27 g|
|Calories from Fat||60 %|
Check out more recipes for Ice Cream & Sorbets