Refreshing Orange-Almond Cake the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Refreshing Orange-Almond Cake
Makes one 8- or 9-inch cake
|1-1/4||cups all-purpose flour|
|1-1/2||teaspoons baking powder|
|1||cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided|
|3/4||cup sliced almonds|
|1/4||cup Grand Marnier or orange-flavored liqueur|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; set aside. Grate enough rind from one orange to measure 4 teaspoons; set aside.
- Beat shortening and 1 cup sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat until well blended. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in orange peel. Pour into prepared pan; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar; drizzle with liqueur.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen edges and remove to rack to cool completely. Cool almond side up.
- If desired, run citrus zester around remaining orange to make orange zest; sprinkle over top of cake.
Check out more recipes for Cakes