Refried Beans the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
This recipe is part of the recipe for Chicken Tostadas
Makes about 2 cups
|8||ounces dried red, pink or pinto beans (1-1/3 cups)|
|4-1/2||cups cold water|
|1/3||cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening or vegetable oil, divided|
|1||small white onion, sliced|
|1||small white onion, finely chopped|
|1||small clove garlic, minced|
- Rinse beans thoroughly in sieve under cold running water, picking out any debris or blemished beans.
- Place beans, water, 1 tablespoon shortening and sliced onion in 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or just until beans are tender, not soft.
- Stir in salt. Cover and simmer over very low heat 30 to 45 minutes until beans are very soft. Do not drain.*
- Heat remaining 1/3 cup shortening in heavy, large skillet over high heat until very hot. Add chopped onion and garlic. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Increase heat to high. Add 1 cup undrained beans. Cook and stir, mashing beans with bean or potato masher.
- As beans begin to dry, add another 1 cup undrained beans. Cook and stir, mashing beans with bean or potato masher. Repeat until all beans and cooking liquid have been added and mixture is a coarse puree. Adjust heat as needed to prevent beans from sticking and burning. Total cooking time will be around 20 minutes.
- Beans may be served as a side dish or used as an ingredient for another recipe.
Check out more recipes for Mexican