Rice Cakes with Mushroom Walnut Ragoût
Makes 4 servings
|2/3||cup arborio rice|
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|1/2||cup grated Parmesan cheese|
|3||tablespoons minced green onions|
|1||ounce dried porcini mushrooms|
|1||cup boiling water|
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|1||medium onion, sliced|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|8||ounces button mushrooms, sliced|
|1||teaspoon dried oregano|
|1||can (14-1/2 ounces) tomato wedges, undrained|
|2||teaspoons lemon juice|
|1/2||teaspoon black pepper|
|1/3||cup chopped toasted walnuts*|
|Asiago or Parmesan cheese shavings|
*To toast walnuts, spread them in single layer on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until brown, stirring twice.
- Cook rice according to package directions. Uncover and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Beat egg and egg white in medium bowl until blended. Add rice, grated Parmesan and green onions; mix well. Press into prepared pan with rubber spatula. Cover; refrigerate.
- Soak dried mushrooms in boiling water in small bowl 15 to 20 minutes or until soft. Drain, reserving liquid. Chop mushrooms.
- Bake rice mixture 20 to 25 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile to prepare ragout, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add sliced onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add fresh mushrooms, dried mushrooms and oregano; cook and stir 5 minutes or until fresh mushrooms are tender.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/4 cup juice. Add tomatoes, reserved juice, reserved mushroom liquid, lemon juice, salt and pepper to skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in walnuts.
- Cut rice mixture into 8 rectangles. Top with ragout. Sprinkle with cheese shavings.
Check out more recipes for Vegetarian