Roast Capon with Fruit and Nut Stuffing
Makes 8 servings
|4||tablespoons butter or margarine, divided|
|1||tart apple, diced|
|1/2||cup chopped golden raisins or dried cranberries|
|1/4||cup sliced green onions|
|1/4||cup chopped celery|
|4||cups stale bread cubes|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley|
|2||teaspoons poultry seasoning|
|1/2||teaspoon black pepper|
|1-1/2||cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth|
|1/2||cup dry sherry|
|1/2||cup toasted slivered almonds|
|2||tablespoons prepared mustard|
|1/2||teaspoon curry powder|
|1||capon (8 to 9 pounds)|
|1/4||cup all-purpose flour|
- Preheat oven to 325°F. For stuffing, melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add apple, raisins, green onions and celery; cook and stir 3 minutes or until fruit is tender. Add bread cubes; toss. Add parsley, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper; toss. Add chicken broth, sherry and almonds; toss until combined.
- Bring honey, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, mustard and curry powder to a boil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Remove giblets and neck from capon; reserve for another use. Rinse capon under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Stuff cavity loosely with about 3 cups stuffing (place remaining stuffing in greased baking dish). Tie legs together with wet cotton string and place, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Insert meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh not touching bone. Bake 3 hours or until meat thermometer registers 170°F, brushing well with glaze every 30 minutes. Loosely cover remaining stuffing. Place in oven during last 45 minutes of baking time.
- Transfer capon to platter. Remove stuffing from cavity and add to remaining stuffing. Cover capon with aluminum foil; let stand 10 minutes before carving.
- Strain pan juices into 2-cup glass measure; skim off fat. Add enough water to pan juices to equal 2 cups. Pour pan juice mixture into saucepan and place over medium heat. Combine 1/4 cup water and flour; stir until smooth. Gradually whisk flour mixture into saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste. Serve with capon and stuffing.
|Total Fat||33 g|
Check out more recipes for Chicken & Other Poultry