Roasted Vegetable Tomato Sauce
Makes about 8 cups
|1||eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch slices|
|1-1/2||teaspoons salt, divided|
|2||zucchini, halved and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces|
|2||red or yellow bell peppers, cut into 3/4-inch strips|
|8||ounces small mushrooms, stems trimmed|
|1||red onion, cut into 3/4-inch pieces|
|1/4||cup olive oil|
|2||tablespoons balsamic vinegar|
|3||to 4 cloves garlic, minced|
|1||teaspoon dried rosemary|
|1||can (28 ounces) tomato sauce|
|2||teaspoons dried basil|
|1/2||teaspoon red pepper flakes|
- Place eggplant slices in large colander set over bowl; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Drain 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Cut slices crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms and onion in 15X10-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, garlic and rosemary in small bowl until well blended; pour over vegetables, stirring until evenly coated.
- Bake 25 minutes or until vegetables are brown and tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt evenly over vegetables.
- Meanwhile, combine tomato sauce, water, sugar, basil and pepper flakes in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add roasted vegetables and cooking liquid to saucepan. Cover; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat; cool completely.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator up to 5 days.
Check out more recipes for Italian