Rotini with Vegetables the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Rotini with Vegetables
Makes 6 servings
|1-1/2||pounds broccoli, cut into florets|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||medium red bell pepper, diced|
|1||cup sliced button mushrooms|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1/3||cup canned vegetable broth|
|1||package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed|
|1||cup cherry tomato halves|
|1/3||cup chopped walnuts, toasted*|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves|
|1-1/2||cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese|
|1/4||cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese|
*To toast walnuts, spread in single layer on baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until brown, stirring twice.
- To steam broccoli, place steamer basket in large saucepan; add 1 inch of water. (Water should not touch bottom of basket.) Place broccoli in steamer. Cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; steam broccoli 4 to 6 minutes or until bright green and crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, finely grate colored portion of lemon peel using bell grater or hand-held grater. Measure 1 tablespoon lemon peel; set aside.
- Cook rotini according to package directions. Drain in colander. Place in large warm bowl; keep warm.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add broth; cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add broccoli, peas and tomatoes to skillet; cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in walnuts, lemon peel and oregano. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add vegetable mixture to rotini; sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese and toss until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Check out more recipes for Italian