Sage Buns the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 24 rolls
|3||to 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|1||package active dry yeast|
|2||teaspoons rubbed sage|
|1||tablespoon olive oil (optional)|
- Heat milk and shortening in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until shortening is melted and temperature reaches 120° to 130°F. Remove from heat.
- Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, sage and salt in large bowl. Add milk mixture; beat vigorously 2 minutes. Add remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until dough begins to pull away from sides of bowl.
- Turn out dough onto floured work surface; flatten slightly. Knead 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic, adding flour, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
- Shape dough into ball. Place in large lightly oiled bowl; turn dough over once to oil surface. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Grease 13X9-inch pan; set aside.
- Turn out dough onto lightly oiled surface. Divide into 24 equal pieces. Form each piece into ball. Place evenly spaced in prepared pan. Cover with towel; let rise 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove bread from pan and cool on wire rack. Brush tops of rolls with olive oil for soft shiny tops.
Check out more recipes for Rolls & Buns