Salad of Arugula, Pomegranate, Persimmon and Toasted Hazelnuts
Episode 95: Sunshine's Menu
|1/3 cup/50 g||hazelnuts|
|5 ounces/140 g||baby arugula leaves, stems trimmed|
|1/2 cup/100 g||pomegranate seeds (from 1 pomegranate)|
|1||firm-ripe Fuyu persimmon, cut into thin wedges, pitted and skin removed|
|3 tablespoons/45 ml||raspberry vinegar|
|2 tablespoons/30 ml||pomegranate juice|
|1/4 cup/60 ml||grapeseed oil|
|3 tablespoons/45 ml||extra virgin olive oil|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Place the hazelnuts on a heavy baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 8 minutes or until the center of the nuts are lightly golden in color. As the nuts roast, gently shake the pan occasionally to ensure the nuts brown evenly.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Rub the hazelnuts between your palms to loosen the brown husks from the nuts, allowing the husks to fall to the work surface. Discard the husks. Finely chop the hazelnuts.
- Meanwhile, combine the arugula leaves with the pomegranate seeds and wedges of persimmon in a large mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the raspberry vinegar and pomegranate juice and begin to whisk.
- Slowly add both oils to the vinegar mixture whilst constantly whisking to blend. Season the vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper. Gently toss the salad with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mound the salad onto 4 plates. Sprinkle any pomegranate seeds (that have fallen to the bottom of the bowl) over the salads. Sprinkle with the toasted hazelnuts and serve immediately.
Check out more recipes for Salads