Makes 4 servings
|1||roasting chicken (4 to 5 pounds)|
|6||orange slices (each about 1/8 inch)|
|3||lemon slices (each about 1/8 inch)|
|3||tablespoons chablis wine|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|2||pieces celery (each 2 inches)|
|2||tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature|
|2||tablespoons all-purpose flour|
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Place chicken, breast-side up, on work surface. Carefully loosen skin from flesh with fingers, starting above the body cavity near breast bone. Work from one side of breast toward wing, then loosen skin around leg. Repeat to loosen skin on other side of chicken. Do not tear skin.
- Carefully slide 2 of the orange slices and 1 of the lemon slices under skin on each side of breast and leg.
- Rub body cavity of chicken with 1 tablespoon of the chablis, the salt and pepper. Place celery, remaining 2 orange slices and the remaining lemon slice inside cavity.
- Brush outside of chicken evenly with butter. Fold wings across back so tips touch; tie legs together.
- Place chicken, breast-side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Pour water and remaining 2 tablespoons chablis into pan.
- Roast until chicken is tender and drumstick meat feels soft when pressed with fingers, 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Baste chicken with pan juices 3 times during roasting.
- Remove chicken from roasting pan and keep warm while preparing gravy. Place chicken on serving platter; remove string.
- Pour pan drippings into measuring cup. Skim off fat; return 2 tablespoons of the fat to the roasting pan. Discard remaining fat. Add enough broth to pan drippings to measure 1 cup; reserve.
- Stir flour into fat in roasting pan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly stir broth mixture into flour mixture; add sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils, about 5 minutes. Boil 1 minute longer. Serve chicken hot with gravy.
Check out more recipes for Chicken & Other Poultry