Santa Lucia Bread Wreath
Our version of this traditional holiday symbol is sure to become a favorite centerpiece.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
|1||to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom|
|1||package (16 ounces) hot roll mix plus ingredients to prepare mix|
|1/2||recipe Cookie Glaze|
|Red and green candied cherries|
|Small custard cup|
|Artificial holly leaves* (optional)|
|5||(7- or 8-inch) candles|
*Real holly leaves are toxic; do not use on food.
- Stir cardamom into hot roll mix. Prepare mix according to package directions. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover loosely; let stand in bowl about 15 minutes.
- Grease large baking sheet and outside of custard cup. Place inverted custard cup in center of prepared baking sheet; set aside.
- Punch down dough; divide into 3 equal pieces. On floured surface, roll and stretch 2 pieces of dough into 20-inch ropes. Twist ropes together; shape into 7-inch circle around custard cup.
- Divide remaining dough piece in half. Place dough on floured surface; roll and stretch each piece into 12-inch rope. Twist 2 ropes together; shape into 5-inch circle. Place around custard cup, overlapping top of larger braid already on baking sheet.
- To make holes for candles, shape small sheets of foil into 5 balls, each 1 inch in diameter. Insert balls between 2 braids, evenly spacing them around wreath. Cover dough loosely; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Uncover dough. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove custard cup. Cool wreath on wire rack. Drizzle Cookie Glaze over wreath; decorate with cherries and artificial holly leaves, if desired. Before serving, remove balls of foil. Wrap bottoms of candles with small pieces of additional foil; insert candles into holes.
Combine 4 cups powdered sugar and 4 tablespoons milk in small bowl. Stir; add 1 to 2 tablespoons more milk as needed to make pourable glaze.
Check out more recipes for Italian