Savory Herb-Stuffed Onions
When you're looking for an extraordinary first course, these grilled stuffed onions fill the bill. Large sweet onions, such as Vidalia and Walla Walla, are now readily available. These onions are so mild they can be eaten like an apple!
Makes 4 appetizer servings
|1||zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices|
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|4||large sweet onions|
|1||plum tomato, seeded and chopped|
|2||tablespoons fresh bread crumbs|
|1||tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil|
|1||teaspoon olive oil|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|4||teaspoons balsamic vinegar|
- Prepare grill for direct grilling. Spray both sides of zucchini slices with cooking spray. Grill on uncovered grill over medium coals 4 minutes or until tender, turning once. Remove; cool. Cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Thread mushrooms onto metal skewers. Grill on covered grill over medium coals 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Remove; coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Remove stem and root ends of onions, leaving peels intact. Spray onions with cooking spray; grill, root end up, on covered grill over medium coals 5 minutes or until lightly charred. Remove; cool slightly. Peel and scoop about 1 inch of pulp from stem ends; chop pulp for filling.
- Combine zucchini, mushrooms, onion, tomato, bread crumbs, basil, oil, salt and pepper in large bowl; mix until well blended. Spoon equal amounts of stuffing mixture into centers of onions.
- Place each onion on sheet of foil; sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon water. Wrap onions; seal foil. Grill onion packets on covered grill over medium coals 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. Spoon 1 teaspoon vinegar over each onion before serving.
|Serving Size:||1 stuffed onion|
|Calories from Fat||12 %|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||<1 g|
Check out more recipes for Seafood