Savory Mexican Potato Tart
Makes 8 servings
|3||medium russet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled|
|1/2||cup all-purpose flour|
|4||tablespoons vegetable oil, divided|
|1/2||teaspoon garlic salt|
|1/2||teaspoon black pepper|
|1||jar (8 ounces) mild taco sauce|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|1||cup shredded cooked chicken|
|1||cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese|
|1||small jalapeño pepper,* seeded and minced|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh oregano|
|Cilantro leaves for garnish|
*Jalapeño peppers can sting and irritate the skin, so wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch your eyes.
- Place potatoes in large saucepan; add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain. Mash potatoes in large bowl with hand mixer at low speed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine warm mashed potatoes, flour, cornmeal, 3 tablespoons oil, garlic salt and black pepper in large bowl; mix into smooth dough.
- Dust hands with flour. Press potato mixture onto bottom and up side of ungreased 10-inch flan or tart pan with removable bottom; set aside.
- Combine taco sauce with onion in small bowl; spread evenly over potato mixture. Top potato mixture with chicken, cheese and jalapeño. Sprinkle with oregano and remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Bake 30 minutes or until potato mixture is heated through. Cool tart slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully loosen tart from rim of pan using table knife. Remove rim from pan.
- Remove potato tart from pan bottom; cut into wedges. Serve with guacamole. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Mexican