Savory Summertime Oat Bread
Sautéed onions, shredded carrots and parsley add flavor and crunch to this oatbread. Serve it plain or toasted for breakfast or brunch or create sensational sandwiches with it.
Makes 24 servings (2 loaves)
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|1/2||cup finely chopped onion|
|2||cups whole wheat flour|
|4-1/4||to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|2||cups uncooked old-fashioned oats|
|2||packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise active dry yeast|
|1-1/4||cups fat-free (skim) milk|
|1/4||cup butter or margarine|
|1||cup finely shredded carrots|
|3||tablespoons dried parsley flakes|
|1||tablespoon butter or margarine, melted|
- Spray small nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Cook and stir onion 3 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Stir together whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, oats, sugar, yeast and salt in large mixer bowl. Heat water, milk and 1/4 cup margarine in medium saucepan over low heat until mixture reaches 120° to 130°F. Add to flour mixture. Blend at low speed just until dry ingredients are moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in carrots, onion, parsley and remaining 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour until dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface 5 to 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in large bowl lightly sprayed with cooking spray; turn dough over to coat. Cover and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Spray two 8X4-inch loaf pans with cooking spray. Shape dough into 2 loaves; place in pans. Brush with melted margarine. Cover; let rise in warm place 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
|Serving Size:||1 slice (1/12 of 1 loaf)|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Calories from Fat||17 %|
Check out more recipes for Yeast & Bread Machine